Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 158 - Grilled Eggplant and Grilled Scallions

I bought these veggies to grill for dinner with Marcy last night, but I ended up making a few other "extracurricular" vegetable sides, so I'm having them tonight for dinner.

Grilled Eggplant (p. 349)


I'm not a huge eggplant fan, I have to say. I like it when it's covered in tomato sauce, breading, and cheese, or miso paste, but out in the open, not so much. Which is why I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this simply grilled.

I think maybe the key is going easy on the olive oil. These absorb the oil so completely that seconds after being brushed, they looked so dry I was second-guessing whether I had brushed them at all. But I resisted the temptation to slather more on - most people probably don't resist, and that's why grilled eggplant often ends up so slimy and heavy. Mine was tender, without being oily. And with just a little added salt, it was truly satisfying.

Jeff: A
Martha: A



Grilled Scallions (p. 350)

There's not much to grilling a scallion - it takes barely a few minutes. But they are a great flavor accompaniment. There's a wonderful smell that comes from the grill when these start heating up, and the taste of charred onion is always a welcome one. They really added to the eggplant. This would be a great extra, if you're grilling any kind of meat or chicken for a fork-and-knife meal.

Jeff: A
Martha: A

Until we eat again....


I love making the cross hatch on grilled foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment