Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 196 - Grapefruit Sorbet

It feels like ages since I've cooked! It's been a busy week, what with rehearsing and doing The Kid reading, and then spending three days over the weekend taking The Landmark Forum for the second time (amazing yet again!). Finally, I'm back in the kitchen!

Grapefruit Sorbet (p. 485)

You may remember my theory that the best fruits for sorbets are the ones that have a certain amount of acid and deliver a sweet/tart punch. Well, grapefruit certainly fits in that category, so I had high hopes for this sorbet.

I'm happy to report that this sorbet is FLAWLESS! In the all-time top three, easy. It features what's great about grapefruit, without any of the drawbacks (pulp, rind, over-tartness). Absolutely dazzling in its simplicity.

As the strained juice is very thin, the egg test is usable here, and after following the recipe to a "T," the sugar level came out perfectly.

And I don't know if this happened because it's not summer anymore, but this sorbet froze beautifully and completely in the ice cream machine.

The only thing I wish is that it had more color. Pale pink when liquid, this sorbet froze to off white.

Who cares, though, when it tastes THAT great. (It was so good that David actually ate it, and it wasn't even his cheat meal!)

Jeff: A
Martha: A

No comments:

Post a Comment