Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 305b - Diced Ham Omelet and Wilted Greens Omelet

So after my thrilling morning on 26th St., my posse and I retired back to my place on 30th St. to have some celebration omelets and watch the show on my DVR.

Diced Ham Omelet (p. 89)

These are my last two omelet variations, and although Alysha is not a big pork lover, I strong-armed her into this omelet because she was even less interested in the wilted greens one. David is on one of his extra-crazily-restricted eating binges and there was nothing I could make that he would eat. (He's going to be appearing shirtless in an Off-Broadway show soon and he wants to look superhuman, so he's pretty much only eating egg whites, oatmeal, chicken, and brown rice, which he'd brought with him. Have fun with that....)

Alysha, who's going to be appearing clothed in a Broadway show this season, relented, and I gave in a little, too, acceding to her request for some cheese in there, as well as a majority of egg whites. The whole egg white thing is much healthier, yes, but it does wreak some havoc on the stickiness of the eggs to the pan. That yolk really makes scrambled eggs easier to work with.

Again, I ran into that same situation with the cold filling. Martha doesn't talk about this issue in the book, but what I've been doing is setting the eggs and filling the omelet, then covering the pan for a minute or two to heat the filling through. It seems to get the job done without damaging the omelet too badly. This omelet got a little brown on the bottom, but not horribly so. I think if it had been made from whole eggs, I might have even escaped that.

No matter. Alysha loved it.

Here she is with David, her omelet, my new cake stand (thanks Martha!), my Orange-Almond Cake (thanks Mary and Tomas!), and the cake stand gift ribbon tied around her head. What a kook!

Jeff: A
Martha: A


Wilted Greens Omelet (p. 89)

For my wilted greens omelet, I decided to pick up a bunch of dandelion greens. I thought they might be a good fit, but I was really, really wrong.

I've had dandelion greens before, but I'm thinking that they might have been baby dandelion greens, because these were big and tough and BITTER!

I wilted them per the instructions for spinach on p. 297. It took a little longer, but it worked. Then I squeezed out the water from the wilted greens, chopped them, and put them in an omelet.

Blech. These greens might work as a side dish for a really rich meat dish, but inside an omelet, they are waaaaay too assertive.

Spinach would have been so much better...

Jeff: C (dandelion was a bad call)
Martha: A

Until we eat again....

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed watching you on the show with Martha. If you were nervous on national television, no one could tell - what a natural you were! :) Enjoy your cake stand. PS: It's easiest to crumb coat a cake if you pipe single layers of buttercream (top & sides of cake)using a super large tipped pastry bag (no overlapping icing layers though). Then smooth with the icing spatula (like you used on tv). Scrape off any excess icing, then cover the top & sides with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours. It's okay if you have crumbs in your thin crumb coat, it's there to catch them.

    Katherine/www.livingmartha365.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine- Thanks for the compliment and for the great tip with the piping! I'm wondering if you have any experience or advice re: frosting a cake with Italian Meringue (not buttercream). That's going to be coming up for me soon with the White Cake on page 457, and I predict it's going to be a unique frosting challenge....

    ReplyDelete