Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 172 - Kalijira Rice

I was gearing up to eat the leftover grouper and Chinese broccoli tonight, and I thought it would be nice to have some rice with it. I've had this Kalijera in my pantry for months now, waiting for the perfect opportunity to try it. Why not tonight?

Kalijira Rice (p. 412)

This rice stands out because the grains are teeny-weeny. They're the shape of a long grain rice, but on a much smaller scale.

This is one of the rices that you rinse until the water runs clear, and that took a surprisingly long time. Then, it's a totally straightforward preparation: boil, cover, simmer, take off the heat, let steam, and serve.

The rice was well-cooked, tasty enough, but I was hoping for something really unique. I guess I was expecting some basmati-like nuttiness, but I think the charms of this rice are so subtle that they were lost on me.

I just did a little research and discovered that Kalijera is a non-glutinous rice, which is interesting, because it left me craving Vietnamese sticky rice. Someone named Jeffrey has a recipe for sticky rice on Martha's website. I'll have to try it sometime....

Jeff: A
Martha: A



Until we eat again....

1 comment:

  1. Kalijira rice is best enjoyed as polau - Indian rice pilaf. I have a recipe here for it. Try it out and let me know what you think:

    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12122-SF-Ethnic-Foods-Examiner~y2009m10d18-Polau-Indian-rice-pilaf

    ReplyDelete