Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 288 - Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes (p. 316)

Here's another one of those 6 hour recipes... this is good if you know you're going to be home all day. Otherwise, guess you won't be enjoying anything with "slow-roasted" in the name.

It isn't tomato season, and the beefsteak tomatoes were looking pretty pekid, so I went with the smaller tomatoes on the vine which looked more flavorful.

I actually did these in the toaster oven, and it worked just fine. You cook them for a while at 300°, then you lower it to 250° and go for a few more hours, then you sprinkle on thyme leaves and garlic slices and continue for another few hours. Hours, I tell you, hours!

I expected these to be closer to sun-dried tomatoes, but I'd say they're more like stewed or regular-roasted tomatoes. But the cool thing is that the long, slow roasting really does narrow and highlight and underline the tomato flavor. These taste full-out! Juicy yet condensed.

I'm making them for tomorrow's omelets, but I wonder what else I could do with them....

Jeff: A
Martha: A

Until we eat again....

No comments:

Post a Comment