Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 113 - Glace de Viande and Blueberry Sorbet

Glace de Viande (p. 52)

What a bizarre assignment... Take a quart of basic brown stock, boil it down by more than half, cool it in an ice cube tray, and then freeze it. Glace de Viande, i.e. super-concentrated frozen beefy cubes. I guess this is what you'd call gourmet bouillon.

I flipped through the book to see which recipes call for Glace de Viande, and I only found one: Wine-Braised Short Ribs on page 188. And in that recipe, glace de viande is optional. Clearly, I will be opting for glace de viande in that recipe.

As for the three cubes I'll have left over, I have no idea how or when I will use them, but I have three months before they expire. Hmmmm....

Jeff: A
Martha: A



Blueberry Sorbet (p. 485)


I've ticked off yet another entry in the sorbet column. I'm trying to hit each fruit as it reaches its seasonal peak.

This sorbet is delicious, if a little sweet. I ignored the egg test, because the egg didn't rise and the sorbet tasted plenty sweet. After the Mango Sorbet debacle, I've determined that the egg test only applies to very thin sorbet mixes, like lemon or watermelon. If there's any pulp involved, it will keep that egg submerged.

I went with Martha's suggested amount of syrup, and while it is on the sweet side for me, I think most dessert lovers will be happy with the balance. I haven't served it to anyone yet, though. I have to say, this sorbet is an amazing color....

Jeff: A
Martha: A

No comments:

Post a Comment