Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 127 - Tomato Peach Chutney and Grilled Chicken Parts

Tomato Peach Chutney (p. 179)

I just love chutneys. Anything that involves fruit and savory elements usually appeals to me. This one's a breeze, and it's a great time of year to make it. The tomatoes and the peaches are perfect right now. And it's a great way to spice up the same old, same old chicken meal.

Remembering Marcy's question about why wasn't I chopping things in the food processor, I actually used it today. What a time-saver! Thanks, Marcy! So this baby came together in no time. Great flavors, great accompaniment to grilled chicken breast. Hmmm, what else can I put it on?? :-)

Jeff: A
Martha: A



Grilled Chicken Parts (p. 169)


Again, I'm grilling on the stovetop, but it works! I deboned a chicken breast (still haven't worked out that whole sliding out the wishbone in one piece trick) and rubbed the breasts (and tenders) in a spice paste. (Confession, it's not Martha's spice paste. It's the spice rub recipe from the back of the Kosher salt box. It looked interesting, so I thought I'd try it. The only big difference between Martha's and this one is that Martha's has wet ingredients, i.e. chopped garlic and oil, and this one is all dry. So I added some oil to make a paste and rubbed it on.) The breasts "marinated" in the paste for a day+, and then I grilled them.

OMG, amazing. So much flavor! The breasts cooked up rather quickly, roughly 15 minutes, much faster than Martha's 30-35 minutes estimate, although I didn't try to imitate indirect heat. In fact, I didn't even lower the heat to medium, as per the recipe. (oops) Meanwhile, they cooked great and they taste great. I used a thermometer to gauge the doneness, which I definitely recommend, as the breasts don't get overcooked. (I use Martha's digital thermometer for Macy's - I set it at 160° for Poultry, and it beeps when the chicken hits that temperature. No more guesswork!)

This chicken, topped with the chutney? Unbelievably good. What a treat!

Jeff: A
Martha: A


Until we eat again....

Chutney just finishing up in the pot....

No comments:

Post a Comment