Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 199 - Pea and Spinach Soup


Pea and Spinach Soup (p. 70)


I told you I was in a soupy mood!

This one is perfect for Marcy - all veggies, very little naughtiness (2 tablespoons of butter). I didn't have enough homemade chicken stock to use only stock, so I used roughly half stock and half water. (Water is an option here. I wasn't cheating.) The only other ingredients are butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a ton of peas and spinach.

Washing and trimming two bunches of spinach is time-consuming, as is shelling two pounds of peas. But it's worth it for that fresh, green taste. Other than that, this soup cooks up very quickly, making it a great choice when you need to whip up something snazzy in a jiffy. The overall effect is very clean yet very hearty, a surprisingly Spring-y taste in October.

I served it lightly salted, but interestingly, when we added more salt at the table, the soup really came alive.

That garnish on the plate is Frico. Yum!

Until we eat again....

Jeff: A
Martha: A

No comments:

Post a Comment